As we know children all develop at different stages; and some children starting reception will be almost 5, whilst others are just turning 4, so there will be a range of children’s ability when they start school. However as a parent or carer you can help your child be ready for school by supporting them to develop their skills in self-care and self-regulation.
Between four and five years old children should:
- Be prepared to be separated from their parent or main carer
- Be able to listen and follow age appropriate instructions
- Show an interest in a variety of subjects and paying attention
- Have enough of a range of vocabulary and language to express their needs (toileting, hunger or illness), feelings, thoughts or ideas
- Be able to identify themselves by name, age, state factors in their life, name family members etc.
- Be able to interact in an age appropriately with another child or adult
- Be able to interact, share and play, taking responsibility for their actions, understanding repercussions for their actions
- Be able to observe, notice, discuss and ask questions about their environment and experiences
- Be able to engage with books, have some understanding of words and language
- Respond to boundary setting
- Dress and undress
- Ideally your child is learning to swim – https://www.capt.org.uk/Pages/Category/safety-advice-injury-types
Lewisham Family Information Service (FIS) provide free advice to Lewisham families with children for:
- Childcare and free early education
- Children/ family Centres
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
- Schools and Learning
- Support for parents and carers
- Young people activities and clubs
Lewisham Local Offer:
Lewisham Local Offer provides information, advice and guidance about what special educational needs and disabilities services are available in the London Borough of Lewisham, and who can access them.
Visit the Lewisham Local Offer, information for families of children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).
Speak to your health visitor for further information or support with getting your child school ready.
Are you a parent or carer of a Reception aged child attending school in Lewisham?
We have developed a secure online portal (part of the Thomas Screener) where parents can complete the health need assessment (HNA form). The questionnaire is an opportunity for the School Health Service to have insight on your child’s health and development for early identification and signposting to relevant interventions.
The unique link to access the portal is sent by your child’s school via email or TEXT. If you have not received the link, please contact your School or Lewisham School Health Screening Team on:
0203 049 3415
Here is a video on how the HNA portal works